Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Lifeguarding oopsy

I have been a lifeguard for 4+ years. This summer was the summer I decided to quit and start looking for new jobs for more experience. I did though, have interesting experiences as a lifeguard. I worked at Great Wolf Lodge one summer where I rescued a few kids under the bubbles of the kiddie slides and put bandaids on "ouchies". In those 4+ years though, I mostly worked at my hometown's indoor pool and recreation center. I only have a few nosebleeds, fights, and ouchies here and there but not any big incidents. Until this past year, I had to save 3 kids. They weren't all full on just-in rescues, but I did have to give them the lifeguard tube, pull them out, and see if all their vitals we okay. There was this one incident that I was and still am embarassed about. One time during Saturday morning swimming lessons a little boy and his brother were waiting for their swimming lessons to start. They jumped in and the younger on started going under. I just into the water as fast as I could, but my foot got wrapped around the rope of my lifeguard tube. I laid in the 5 foot struggling to get over to the 3 foot. I felt like everyone was watching me with puzzlement, because I forgot to blow my whistle before entering the pool. As I tried to get out of the tangled mess I made and toward the little boy, he had made it out of the pool with the help of his brother. When I got over there, told them not to go in unless they had a parent with them...and slowly got our of the pool literally drenched with embarassment. The only good thing about this story is the kid made is out of the pool safely, but I have to admit if I were watching myself I would have laughed.

3 comments:

  1. This is really funny! I always wanted to life guard, but I would feel way too responsible for other's lives, when incidents like this would happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldnt be embarassed just the fact is that you were trying to help someone. It is nice that you lifeguard in your hometown's indoor pool too, even though they might be little rescues. One day you will have a big rescue and you'll know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate moments like that haha! You're hoping nobody saw it for a second, then realize..yep people saw me do that. haha! good thing the kid was ok though

    ReplyDelete